For the second time, our proposal to bring Top 4 Ranked Choice Voting to San Diego will be heard by the San Diego City Council’s Rules Committee. We need our 3 “yes” votes to hold firm at the June 10th meeting to succeed in this effort. There are two ways voters can show their support and participate: by submitting a public comment electronically or by calling in. Instructions for each are below. It is critical that we don’t take any past support for granted.
EMAIL: How You Can Help Before June 10
We need as many people as possible to submit a supporting comment before 5:00 pm on Tuesday June 9th to be included in Wednesday's meeting.
Instructions: You will be asked to provide the following:
- Contact Information (Name, email, city, state)
- Meeting Date (be sure to input “June 10, 2020”)
- Comment Type (select “Agenda Comment / Closed Session Comment”)
- Agenda Item Number (be sure to input “Item 5”)
- Your Comment (Use the examples below or feel free to write your own)
- I believe our differences get magnified when candidates and voters don’t have an opportunity to be heard. I support Top 4 Ranked Choice Voting because it allows for more candidate voices and more voter choices. This helps us bring more issues to the table that are otherwise marginalized.
- I support Top 4 Ranked Choice Voting in the general election because it allows me to fully exercise my right to vote. Being able to rank candidates means I vote honestly for the candidate I like the most without worrying about helping the candidate I like the least. I am asking you to vote “Yes” in support of this initiative.
- I believe every councilmember should vote in support of Top 4 Ranked Choice Voting. Giving voters the opportunity to be heard by ranking candidates (and the issues they stand for) in the General Election will empower and re-energize our communities at this critical time in our democracy.
- Please support the Top 4 Ranked Choice Voting initiative pushed forward by More Choice San Diego. Our elections are important and this change from Top 2 to Top 4 will create more competition and allow for more inclusive public debate in our communities. Too many voices are silenced in the primary that is now in early March. Top 4 would focus voters and press attention on the most viable candidates, preventing the marginalization of candidates by a large field and ensuring voters have real choice on the November ballot.
- As a voter, I am tired of watching two-candidates tear each other down rather than talk about issues that affect San Diego. Using Ranked Choice Voting in the General Election will give us campaigns where candidates will succeed by campaigning more positively and focusing on earning my support – even if it’s my 2nd or 3rd ranking. This will increase voter engagement and turnout. Please vote “Yes” in support of the Top 4 RCV initiative.
- Top 4 with Ranked Choice Voting in the General is the best way to empower voters. While some people want to eliminate the primary for the Mayor, City Council and City Attorney races; With 70+ county, state and federal questions still on the primary ballot, I think this would send a bad signal to voters. Keeping the primary and using to narrow the field to the top 4 candidates and adding the option to rank them in November is the best way to give voters more power without taking away any voting opportunities.
Another way to help before June 10
If your council member is on the Rules Committee, please call or email them. Some council members have already voiced their support and you can thank them when you call to ensure they maintain support for Top 4 Ranked Choice Voting.
Rules Committee Members - Voted to Not Support in May
If your city council member is on this list, please ask them to reconsider and vote in support of Top 4 RCV at the next Rules Committee meeting. It is “Item 5”.
Rules Committee Members - Voted to Support in May
If your city council member is on this list, please thank them for their support and ask them to continue to support Top 4 RCV. This is very important as we move forward to make sure our supporters know they have their constituents backing.
CALL: How You Can Help ON June 10
The Rules Committee meeting starts at 2:00 pm. Please call in and voice your support for Top 4 Ranked Choice Voting using the instructions below.
- DIAL 619-541-6310
- Enter the Access Code: 877861 then press ‘#’.
- You will then be placed in the queue until our item (“Item 5”) is heard
- Additional detailed instructions can be found here: Public Comment Instructions
How You Can Help AFTER June 10
If we are successful with the Rules Committee, Top 4 Ranked Choice Voting will go forward to a full City Council vote in July. We will have a lot of work to do with outreach in the community and winning the support of additional council members. If your council member is on this list, please be prepared to start lobbying them for their support.